Gulf of Trieste – Time-series (GoTTs)
Summary of the project
The Department of Biological Oceanography of the Italian National Institute of Oceanography and of Experimental Geophysics is responsible for the site Gulf of Trieste, part of macrosite North Adriatic inserted in the international network LTER (Long Term Ecological Research) that continues the historical series of hydrological, biological and biochemical data initiated by the University of Trieste in 1970. The research activities range from marine biogeochemistry to physiology, from ecology to traditional marine biology and are aimed to understanding the dynamics governing marine ecosystems in its complexity, and to evaluating the role of oceans in the global energy balance. The studies on local scale regard coastal and transition waters and address problems related to their sustainable management.
Area of study
Gulf of Trieste, North Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean Sea)
Time Table for activities
1970 - present (at present with monthly sampling)
DIF EXISTS - visit HERE
-Data center: OGS/NODC - National Oceanographic Data Center
-Data contact: Marina Lipizer (mlipizer(at)inogs.it)
Capacity building activities
Stages and summer schools for undergraduate students are organized in the Oceanography Section of the National Institute of Oceanography and Applied Geophysics in order to improve their understanding in the field of marine biology and ecosystem research. This training is based on theoretical lessons and laboratory and field practical activities.
- 2019, June 21: LTER-Gulf of Trieste Time series will participate to Ocean Sampling Day (OSD) on June 21, 2019. Ocean Sampling Day will bring together more than 100 science teams around the world to sample at more than 180 sampling sites, and hopefully thousands of citizen scientists like you to take measurements of your local water. The goal is to create the biggest data set in marine research that has ever been taken on one single day, like a huge snapshot of the world's oceans
- OGS and the activity of GoTTs project are part of the Joint Research Unit of LifeWatch Italy which is part of LifeWatch-ERIC, the e-Science European Infrastructure for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research, officially established as international organism by the European Commission in 2017.
- Participation to EMODnet Biology and to EMODnet Chemistry data portal
List of 2018/19 publications
- Franzo A., Celussi M., Bazzaro M., Relitti F., Del Negro P. (2019) Microbial processing of sedimentary organic matter at a shallow LTER site in the northern Adriatic Sea:an 8-year case study. Nature Conservation 34, 397-415.
- Monti-Birkenmeier M., Diociaiuti T., Fonda Umani S. (2019) Long-term changes in abundance and diversity of tintinnids in the Gulf of Trieste (Northern Adriatic Sea). Nature Conservation 34, 373-395.
- Cerino F., Fornasaro D., Kralj M., Giani M., Cabrini M. (2019) Phytoplankton temporal dynamics in the coastal waters of the north-eastern Adriatic Sea (Mediterranean Sea) from 2010 to 2017. Nature Conservation 34, 343-372.
- Cibic T., Cerino F., Karuza A., Fornasaro D., Comici C., Cabrini M. (2018) Structural and functional response of phytoplankton to reduced river inputs and anomalous physical-chemical conditions in the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic Sea). Science of The Total Environment 636, 838-853.
- Cibic T., Comici C., Falconi C., Fornasaro D., Karuza A., Lipizer M. (2018) Phytoplankton community and physical-chemical data measured in the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic Sea) over the period March 2006-February 2007. Data in Brief 19: 586-593.
- Franzo A., Guilini K., Cibic T., Del Negro P. (2018) Interactions between free-living nematodes and benthic diatoms: insights from the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic Sea). Mediterranean Marine Science, 19 (3): 538–554. http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/mms.15549
- Morabito G., Mazzocchi M.G., Salmaso N., Zingone A., Bergami C., Flaim G., Accoroni S., Basset A., Bastianini M., Belmonte G., Bernardi Aubry F., Bertani I., Bresciani M., Buzzi F., Cabrini M., Camatti E., Caroppo C., Cataletto B., Castellano M., Del Negro P., de Olazabal A., Di Capua I., Elia A.C., Fornasaro D., Giallain M., Grilli F., Leoni B., Lipizer M., Longobardi L., Ludovisi A., Lugliè A., Manca M., Margiotta F., Mariani M.A., Marini M., Marzocchi M., Obertegger U., Oggioni A., Padedda B.M., Pansera M., Piscia R., Povero P., Pulina S., Romagnoli T., Rosati I., Rossetti G., Rubino F., Sarno D., Satta C.T., Sechi N., Stanca E., Tirelli V., Totti C., Pugnetti A. (2018) Plankton dynamics across the freshwater, transitional and marine research sites of the LTER-Italy Network. Patterns, fluctuations, drivers. Science of the Total Environment, 627: 373-387.
- Rogelja M., Cibic T., Rubino F., Belmonte M., Del Negro P. (2018) Active and resting microbenthos in differently contaminated marine coastal areas: insights from the Gulf of Trieste (northern Adriatic, Mediterranean Sea). Hydrobiologia 806 (1): 283-301.